Compassionate Advocacy for You & Your Family Contact Me Today

Retirement Funds, 401(k) & Pensions Attorney in Norfolk, Middlesex, Plymouth Suffolk Counties, Massachusetts

What Happens to Retirement Benefits when A Marriage Ends?

Retirement funds, such as 401(k) or pensions, are divided equitably in a divorce. A skilled divorce attorney understands the necessity of accounting for every asset in a divorce, including retirement funds.

Attorney Paul C. Bishop has the technical and professional resources to value complex retirement assets in your divorce. He works with valuation experts and pension evaluators to achieve a fair distribution for you and your retirement.

Attorney Paul C. Bishop can help you evaluate or appraise the value of your or your spouse’s retirement funds.

Contact his Norwood office to schedule an initial consultation.

Let's create a plan that fits your needs. Contact me.

Dividing Retirement Funds and Careful Drafting of A QDRO

Whether one spouse pays a lump sum to fairly divide retirement benefits or a qualified domestic relations order (QDRO) is necessary, we will work with you to determine the method of division that works for you and meets your needs. Not all retirement funds require a QDRO, such as an IRA or SEPRA. Knowing the requirements for different retirement funds and pensions, our attorneys can save you time and money in your divorce.

A QDRO is an order that gives one spouse the right to payment under his or her ex-spouse’s retirement plan. Since this order dictates the division and payment under a retirement benefits plan, it is important to carefully draft the QDRO to account for all contingencies.

Attorney Paul C. Bishop provides personalized attention to detail in every QDRO order. He will work to make sure your future interests are protected and that the QDRO complies with the plan administrator’s requirements. He will also work to divide the retirement funds fairly by including language that accounts for fluctuations in the market.

Speak with A Lawyer Well-Versed in Massachusetts’ Laws

Regardless of the type of retirement assets involved in your divorce, our skilled divorce attorney in the Norfolk, Suffolk, Middlesex and Plymouth County areas can help you. Contact Attorney Paul C. Bishop's family law firm to discuss your divorce and asset protection needs.